Stories of children and tacklers from the Tackle world

Stories of children and tacklers from the Tackle world

Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Caravan Resource Drive - An Interesting First Experience

I had an interesting experience as I'd never done anything like this. I've never facilitated a donation drive and so I was a little apprehensive to ask people for donations.
However, over time I realised my hesitation disappeared. As I care about the girls at the <caravan location> very much, I want them to have all the materials and resources that were available and so I began to feel very passionate about this drive. In most donation drives, college students feel they can't contribute because they don't have the money to do so. However, people were happy to realise that they could contribute in the form of simple things like newspapers and plastics as well.

A major challenge was in regard to monetary contributions. Most people I interacted with lived in PGs and hostels away from they family so even though they wanted to donate, they didn't have the money or materials to.

I told people who wanted to donate but didn't have the resources to, that even if at a later date they had something to contribute, they could reach out to me.
I told people to be especially careful while buying bottled water and packaged food and to keep the containers and give it to me as and when it is convenient to them.

One major thing I noticed is the amount of waste that privileged people produce. A few friends asked me if they could give me a few bottles of leftover paint of the same colour. This made me think how we often purchase in bulk without understanding our necessity. If we only use what we need in a respectful manner, we could save a lot and instead work on giving back to the community.

-Premaja Bhatt Joshi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Your comment will appear on the site shortly.